THE CUBBON PARK
The Cubbon Park, officially known as Sri. Chamarajendra Park, is an historic park, located in the heart of city in the Central Administrative Area. The park provides sylvan surroundings to the State Legislature building- the Vidhana Soudha, the High Court Buildings – the Attara Kacheri and a number of other organizations located along the periphery and within the park which constitute the Central Administrative Area.
The Cubbon Park has a history of over 100 years. It was established in the year 1870 by Sri John Meade, the then acting Commissioner of Mysore. The vast landscape of the park was conceived by Major General Richard Sankey, the then Chief Engineer of the State. As a mark of honour to Sri John Meade, the park was initially named as "Meade’s Park" and subsequently it was called the Cubbon Park. Since the inception of the park, it was developed and improved by adding new structures and features. In the year 1927, the park was officially renamed as "Sri. Chamarajendra Park" to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Sri. Krishnaraja Wodeyar’s rule in Mysore State.
Cubbon Park is under the control of the Department of Horticulture. The Deputy Director of Horticulture (Cubbon Park) is responsible for the administration and maintenance of the park.
The Park- Its Expanse
Cubbon Park was basically designed as a public park in an area of about 100 acres and expanded over the years. The park has a predominant green area with a few concrete buildings, housing government and other organizations' offices. The park has many motorable roads. It also has well laid out walking paths running through the park. It serves as a nature public park, at the same time aims at protecting the environment and greenery. It is a major lung space of Bangalore and a location for early morning walkers, so also for naturalists who study plants in the serene natural environment.
Lush greenery welcomes any visitor entering Cubbon Park through any of the approaches. Rich in plant wealth, many indigenous and exotic botanical species are found here. The park has about 68 genera and 96 species with a total of around 6000 plants / trees growing in its locale. Development works are taken up only on scientific and technical basis, with a view to maintain the park in its original splendour. Planting of species is done after identifying the barren patches.
Indigenous species such as Artocarpus, Cassia fistula, Ficus, Polyalthias etc., and exotic species such as Araucaria, Bamboo, Castanospermum australe, Grevillea robusta, Milletia, Peltophorum Schinus molle, Swietenina mahagoni, Tabebuia sp. etc., can be seen. In addition, many ornamental and flowering trees both exotic and indigenous are found in the park.
Grevillea robusta (silver oak), having the distinction of being the first oaks introduced to Bangalore from Australia are still found in Cubbon Park adjacent to the tennis pavillion.
The part of the park developed on symmetric lines with terraces on either sides of the central promenade, which is the focal point from the Museum building to the central hall of the High Court, forms the formal gardens. The terrace garden developed in the gradient from the Attara Kacheri towards the East is a beautiful sight to see. Located in this garden is the bandstand constructed during the early part of this century. The Sheshadri Iyer Memorial Hall – now the City Central Library building is an artistic structure worth seeing. Located in front of the Library is the rosary, a spectacular area for any visitor to see. Many beautiful lawns are found in the park’s expanse. The Ringwood circle, lotus pond and bamboo grove nook are worth seeing.
A number of beautiful tree avenues can be seen in the park. The avenue of Araucarias along with Canna beds on either sides of the road from the Library to Hudson circle is a beautiful view. The avenue of Swietenias in the Northern side of the park; the Java fig avenue along the road leading to the Government Museum, the Polyalthia avenue along the road from Queen’s statue to King Edward statue and the chestnut tree avenue from the Chamarajendra statue to Siddalingaiah circle lend a subtle grandeur to the park.
Structures / Facilities
Many official and public buildings are located within and along the periphery of the park. The High Court Buildings, Indira Priyadarshini Children’s Library, City Central Library, Government Museum, Art Gallery, Aquarium, YMCA, Yuvanika- the State Youth Centre, Century Club, Press Club, Jawahar BalBhavan, Tennis Pavillion and a number of other offices are located in the park, few of them offering amusement and sports facilities.
The Queen Victoria statue installed (1906) in one corner of the park near the Mahatma Gandhi Circle, the King Edward VII statue installed (1919) at the North-Western point of the Queen’s park; the statue of Major General Sir Mark Cubbon near the terrace garden; Rajya Dhurandhara Sir K. Sheshadri Iyer statue installed (1913) in front of the Central Library and the statue of Sri. Chamarajendra Wodeyar (1927) installed in the central portion of the park near the tennis pavillion with a fairly fountain in the front, are magnificent structures found in the park. Owing to the different features and structures in the park, the Cubbon Park is a well-known tourist attraction.
As the Cubbon park is located in the Central Administrative Area, the gardens of Vidhana Soudha and Raj Bhavan, with the latest addition of the LRDE – Musical fountain, are integral parts of the development, conservation and maintenance of Cubbon Park. The Vidhana Soudha garden is beautifully landscaped on symmetric lines. The magnificently architectured Vidhana Soudha with the gardens lends a beautiful view to the visitor. The Raj Bhavan garden is well laid out and adds a colourful and spectacular ambience to Raj Bhavan.
The Dancing Musical Fountain, commissioned recently, is the most advanced dancing fountain located in the LRDE premises on the Raj Bhavan road; the only one of its kind in India with a visual facility. It uses a unique binary control concept to obtain three distinct levels for each of its form. It provides high versatility in programming as well as in playback to various India and Western musical themes.
Location and Access
Located in the heart of the city, the Cubbon Park’s accessible from M.G. Road, Kasturba road, Hudson Circle, and Ambedkar Veedhi. Many motorable roads running through the park make vehicular movement easy. Only light motor vehicles are allowed through the park. Many walking lanes crisscross the park area making all the locations accessible.
Cubbon Park is a public park with many Government organizations, associations and clubs in its locale. The park is open all the time. It has been declared a silent zone between 5.00 a.m. to 8.00 a.m.
Although no specific events are organized by the Department within the Cubbon Park area, regular shows are conducted at the Dancing Musical Fountain, LRDE. Two shows are organized everyday from 7.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. and 8.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. each lasting for half an hour. It is closed on every Monday and Second Tuesday of the month.